Best Electric Skillet Reviews
I am sure you are here because you are looking for the best electric skillet on the market. Obviously, this is the reason why you would like to take a look at the electric skillet reviews and ratings of all the electric skillets presently available. on the market today And let me assure you that you have come to the right spot. Here, on this website, you’ll find honest and unbiased reviews of the best electric skillets on the market today.
So before you buy your coveted kitchen appliance, you would do well to have a close look at my electric skillet reviews, and you should make sure that you go through my tips and guide on how to select the best electric skillet for your kitchen. Down below you will find our top picks for this year. No matter whether you are searching for a non-stick type that makes cleaning a breeze or a traditional one in stainless steel, there is an electric skillet to meet your requirements.
Watch this electric skillet video and enjoy!
BEST FIVE ELECTRIC SKILLETS OF 2023
|Product Name||Image||Rating||View Product|
|1.Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet||4.9 out of 5||View product|
|2. Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d’Expert 1350-Watt Electric skillet||4.9 out of 5||view product|
|3. De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet||4.8 out of 5||View product|
|4.Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet Electric Skillet||4.8 out of 5||view product|
|5.CucinaPro Stainless Steel Electric Skillet||4.8 out of 5||view product|
You must be wondering why you would really need an electric skillet. What difference does it make to your kitchen? If you have never owned one before, you would like to know if there are certain dishes that work better in an electric skillet instead of a regular pan on a stove-top or is it just a backup product that you would like to use from time to time.
Well, an electric skillet has certain advantages. It can hold a steady temperature much better than an ordinary frying pan. So, it is quite useful for frying things like doughnuts (or frying anything else for that matter), preparing everyday food like pancakes or other griddled food.
It also does not heat up the kitchen as much as a stove does, and this why people really prefer to use an electric skillet for cooking, especially in the summer.
Besides, there are times when you are going to host a slew of important guests but you cannot expect to cook everything on the stove at once. An electric skillet or a frying pan does provide that extra bit of cooking space when you need to prepare a meal for several people.
Have a close look at the top 5 electric skillets presently available on the market today.
Our Top Pick:
Best Budget Model
Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
The Presto 06857 16-in Electric Foldaway skillet is endowed with all the necessary features you can hope for. It is, in fact, one of the best electric skillets that money can buy on the market today. With a reasonable price tag, this skillet comes with all the necessary features that you can expect of a $50 kitchen utensil.
Boasting of Presto’s non-stick surface, a heavy-cast aluminum base and superb heating control, this sleek appliance is a must for every kitchen. Why this electric kitchen gadget gets the nod over others like the BG-45 is because of its exquisite design.
It is equipped with the built-in spout for pouring liquids and the fold-down handles to detach the pan from the base for storing it under the counter. You can also take a close look at the Presto 07115 12-inch version in case you want a smaller one.
Preparing meals such as roasts, stews, baked food, fries, grills and other one-dish mills is almost a breeze. This electric skillet arrives with a tempered glass cover which allows you to take a look at the contents of the skillet to see whether it is ready and you can always do that without taking off the cover.
This skillet also comes with a heat-resistant handle which makes it quite easy to carry using an oven glove.
- This electric is both deep and spacious, which makes it perfect for deep frying as well as shallow frying.
- This skillet has got a built-in spout which makes it easy for you to pour liquid meals. This spout also doubles as a spoon during cooking or serving.
- This skillet is dishwasher safe and you can easily clean it.
- The handles and the detachable base makes it fairly easy to store.
- The heavy cast aluminum base is non-stick, so cleaning it after use is absolutely hassle-free.
- It is very energy-efficient and consumes very little power.
- The tempered glass cover allows you to check from outside whether the food is ready to serve. The best pharmacies for purchasing Viagra pills online
- Some users complain that you can hear a clicking sound, especially after many hours of cooking.
- Some users also complain that after using the skillet for several years, the non-stick coating tends to wear off.
The Presto Electric Foldaway is without a doubt the best electric skillet available on the market today and it gives you the best value for your money. You can read the detailed review of the Presto 06857 if you want more information about this fabulous product.
2. Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d’Expert 1350-Watt Electric skillet
The Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d’Expert 1350-Watt, a Japanese brand, is a relatively new entrant to the market and this electric skillet can be a great addition to your kitchen, especially if you are looking for a multifunctional gadget. The two pan skillet enables you to cook two meals at the same time, which saves your energy as well as cooking time.
The electric skillet also boasts of a non-stick coating for both pans, so you won’t have to bother about scooping out your food from inside. Yes, it would help to stay away from grease and oil, which makes it the best kitchen tool for anyone who is health conscious and the same time wants to spend less time in the kitchen.
In case you need more information about this fabulous electric skillet, its features and the pros and cons, here are some technical titbits about the product so that you may have a better understanding of how the product works and why you should bring this home.
This skillet comes with a tempered glass lid which enables you to have a look at the food being cooked without actually opening it. It also has a non-stick plate made of Titanium ceramic, which is absolutely perfect to create fantastic grilled meals.
This electric skillet is fully adjustable and very easy to control. Besides, the side handles do not heat up like many other low-cost skillets and you are absolutely safe when you are using this gadget.
- Helps you make fast, easy, and lovely dishes all the time
- The plate and other parts of the skillet can be cleaned very easily
- Nice size, not bulky, that can any kitchen counter and can be stored easily
- The non-stick coating makes cooking very convenient.
- Nicely built and looks very modern
- You have two pans in one, that enables you to cook multiple meals at the same time
- Heat is evenly distributed
- The controls can be handles very easily
- Since it is non-stick, you can look for healthier eating
- If you will look at the pans closely, you’ll realize that they aren’t evenly flat, though it doesn’t create any problem
- Some people complain that the lid is not tight enough
Overall, a huge number of people worldwide love the Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d’Expert 1350-Watt Electric Skillet. It helps them make delicious, and extremely healthy meals for the family. Hence, you should not think twice if your budget permits you to buy this fabulous kitchen appliance which some dub as the Rolls Royce of the electric skillets.
3. De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet
The De’ Longhi BG45 has sneaked into the second place because it is a very reasonably-priced product that features a glass lid, an impressive carry handle, an accurate heating element, not to speak of the of its eye-catching design. Besides, it is large enough to prepare a meal for a fairly large family.
Modestly priced, the De’ Longhi electric skillet has superb features that make it one of the most desirable kitchen appliances and gives you a perfect cooking experience.
- The De’ Longhi BG45 is large enough to serve an entire family because it can hold a lot of food.
- The temperature controls are fairly accurate and have the highest setting of 400 degrees. You only need to rotate the controls to lower the temperature as and when necessary.
- This electric skillet boasts of a strong die-cast aluminum body
- It features a tempered glass lid that enables you to take a look at the food being cooked.
- It can be used on a buffet to serve food to a large number of people.
- The BG45 electric skillet also heats uniformly at any desired temperature and there is hardly any fluctuation.
- It also features a non-stick surface which makes cleaning very easy after the food is cooked and the meal served.
- This skillet is also dishwasher safe and can save your time.
- This electric skillet has plastic inside the lid which makes some people uncomfortable about it.
- Some users complain about the grip handle creating a bit of a bother.
- You can get burnt easily since the sides of the skillet can get very hot.
Reasonably-priced, the De’ Longhi electric skillet is endowed with features that make it one of the top kitchen gadgets of similar performance. It is indeed a great buy if you consider its fabulous performance and cost efficiency.
4.Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet Electric Skillet
If anyone is looking for a fairly large electric skillet, he will be happy to find this beautiful kitchen appliance and what it brings to the table. The 14×14 inch cooking surface is big enough to prepare a family-sized meal and this product comes in very handy if are expecting a few guests at home. Besides, this electric skillet is equipped with a few other cool and practical functionalities that make the owner really happy about possessing one.
The Cuisinart CSK-250 electric skillet is powered by an 1800 watt motor and it can easily up to a temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The adjustable temperature dial enables you to choose the optimal temperature for the preparation of the meal.
This electric skillet has a tough steel body and the non-stick coating add to the practical appeal and toughness of the product. Obviously, the Cuisinart CSK-250 greengourmet can be used to prepare a wide variety of meat and none of the ingredients will stick to the bottom the skillet.
There are a few mentionable features of the of this electric skillet like the ceramic-based interior, a tempered glass lid with a handle, two side handles made of stainless steel, sturdy construction in conformity with the North American electrical Standards.
- The big size of the electric skillet is a great advantage
- It is dishwasher-safe
- A recipe book is provided along with the skillet
- Superb heat distribution
- Temperature control dial and indicator lamp for selecting the optimum cooking temperature
- Glass lid provided which allows you to take a look at the food being cooked from outside.
- Very tough and durable
- Non-stick coating provided to aid hassle-free cooking and washing
- Sid handles are made of stainless steel which means they will get heated while the cooking process in going on.
- Some buyers have complained have complained that the glass lid has a very small vent hole which looks quite useless
The CSK-250 is a tough electric skillet with excellent features and the large size of the skillet ensures that you will not be embarrassed when visitors drop in all of a sudden for lunch or dinner. More importantly, the CSK-250 electric skillet is a gadget for long-term use and will not easily give in to wear and tear. Hence, if you are looking for a durable product that matches the price tag, this electric skillet is indeed worth considering.
5.CucinaPro Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
The CucinaPro Electric Skillet looks fabulous in any kitchen because of its exquisite design. With a 12-inch stainless steel mirror-looking surface, this kitchen gadget is one of the rare electric skillets that does not possess a nonstick coating. It is made of top quality stainless steel and does its work with absolute grace.
The handles are secured with steel riveting to increase the longevity of the product and look cool. The skillet arrives with a detachable temperature probe and a tempered glass lid so that you can check how your food is doing. The pan can safely go in the dishwasher for a thorough cleaning. You may use it to fry bacon, chicken or fish, or if you like prepare awesome pancakes or vegetables. This electric skillet is indeed perfect for a family of four.
The Cucinapro Electric Skillet is a true eye-catching kitchen gadget. You can marvel at its appearance while you’re cooking and feel proud that you own it. If you are health conscious, you may decide to buy an electric skillet without nonstick coating. And they are not easy to find these days! This one will fulfill your demand completely.
- The temperature dial is useful as you can prepare dishes at the desired temperature to make the food crispy without making it soggy.
- Cleanup is so easy, and you can do it without any hassle
- Perfect size for a family of 4
- The glass lid allows you to check the food without opening the lid
- Detachable temperature probe allows you to peak the temperature from 200 to 400 degree F without any discomfort
- Top quality mirror finish makes it look gorgeous
- Though it is made of stainless steel, it is not quite heavy
- The Cucinapro Electric Skillet lets all the oil gather at the center of the pan, which makes it difficult to keep the food being cooked evenly.
- The heating control should have a dot or an arrow or something on it to indicate what mode you have selected.
The Cucinapro Stainless Steel Electric Skillet is not only an exquisite piece of cookware, but it is also fairly easy to use and clean. Unlike some stainless steel cookware, it is fairly light and if you are somebody who is rather finical about using the non-stick cookware and be happy without it for health reasons, the CucinaPro is there for you.
With a little bit of caution, this electric skillet will serve you well. Except for certain minor problems, it is very difficult to make a negative comment about this skillet. Customers have found this electric skillet satisfying and there is no reason you should be dissatisfied with it.
A few more worthwhile skillet models you can also check before purchasing
6.Proctor Silex 38526 Electric skillet
This lightweight electric skillet from Proctor does the job like a pro. The non-stick coating is excellent: it won’t chip or peel and cooks without the food burning or sticking to the bottom. It also uses much less oil, boils quickly and at the same time it is very easy to clean. This skillet is ideal for small families of two to four members.
The lid allows you to see the food while cooking and is dishwasher safe. The skillet is also dishwasher safe. The handles also serve as feet, which is a bit heavy to put in place for some users. Some users have complained of receiving shipments without screws or tools to put them in place: Please be sure to return immediately if this happens. Since the unit is not assembled when shipped, you will have to rebuild it from scratch, which can be frustrating for inexperienced users.
The plastic handles remain cold during cooking and must be kept stable. The temperature scale ranges from 200 to 400 degrees, and the markings are not so close together to make it easy to set the desired temperature. This is not a slow cooker: be careful when you put something into the cooker, otherwise you will burn it!
- Cook food evenly
- It gets hot very quickly and provides even heat distribution
- Offers excellent value for money and highly affordable
- Easy to clean
- Perfect for small family
- Materials used are durable, but not the best quality
- Must be assembled before use which can be a headache for some people
7. Oster Electric Skillet, 16 inch, black/stainless steel (CKSTSKFM05)
This heavy electric skillet from Oster is very eye-catching product and an attractive addition to your cookware collection. It is designed with style and comfort in mind. The best thing about this skillet is its capacity. It is deep, rectangular and fits a wide range of foods.
The non-stick coating is thick and very good, but unfortunately with some products it tends to peel off after a few months of use. However, if it lasts a long time, it is great. For, it won’t stick to the food and it won’t burn. The heat distribution is excellent, because the food cooks in a very short time. However, the appliance tends to be much hotter on the sides than on the bottom. In addition, during cooking, it sometimes emits a buzzing sound that appears quite irritating and uncomfortable.
The classic, traditional Oster look and the affordable price of the item may seem quite an attractive deal, but you may regret the decision in a few months. The construction is solid, and it’s durable and sturdy, if you ignore some of the inherent drawbacks of the product. The base and skillet can be put in the dishwasher, but they too heavy and bulky to fit in the sink.
- Dishwasher safe, if the temperature sensor is removed
- The non-stick coating can be removed within a few months of use.
- Uneven heat distribution: the sides get hotter than the floor
- Heavy and cumbersome; hard to put in a sink
8. Rival CKRVSK11 11-Inch Square Skillet
This electric aluminum skillet from Rival is unbeatable in price and quality. With a maximum capacity of 4 to 5 quarts, it is ideal for a family of two to four people and is ideal for single use. It is compact and takes up very little shelf space. It is very light, which also makes it portable. You can easily take it to places without access to the kitchen and it is even suitable for outdoor use.
The lid is made of tempered glass, so you can see your food while cooking. The lid has a vent that allows excess steam to escape. The lid also has a small hole on the edges to prevent heat build-up. The handles are quite sturdy and stay cool while cooking.
The lid and skillet are dishwasher safe. The controls have a temperature range of 200 to 400 degrees. The heat distribution is excellent and there are no hot spots.
The non-stick coating is very good, it does not come off even with regular use. However, some users complain about flaking and the product getting disintegrated. A bit of caution is essential to increase the longevity of the coating: Metal utensils or spoons should not be used, and plastic or wooden ones are recommended.
This beautiful skillet also serves as a buffet dish. The legs are quite high, so that during cooking the heat of the countertop is reduced. The dimensions are slightly smaller than indicated, but it offers a great value for money.
Best Eletcric Skillet
- Excellent value for money, ideal for individual users or families of two
- The non-stick layer can come off if handled incorrectly.
- Slightly small for stew, soups or cooking for large families
9. Maxi-Matic Elite Platinum Electric Skillet EG-6203
The Elite Premium oven is an essential electric skillet for a family of four to six people. It’s huge, it lives up to its title of “Jumbo” and with its 8-quart capacity, it can accommodate almost anything. And the deep sides make it possible to keep even odd-shaped food items.
The tempered glass lid is dishwasher safe and allows you to see how the food is cooked. The plastic handles stay very cool during cooking, and the handles move down to form feet to keep the pan upright. A drip pan on one side of the pan is like a small notch to drain excess juice and sauce from the pan.
The skillet has an M-shaped heating coil that covers a large area of the bottom of the pan. It heats evenly and ensures better heat distribution. The bottom of the pan has a non-adhesive, honeycombed surface. This makes cleaning the pan a breeze and prevents food from sticking. This also considerably reduces abrasion and wear and tear of the non-stick surface.
It is a great purchase for its large capacity, solid construction and high quality, at a price that is almost half that of most high quality skillets. There are tons of cheaper skillets that boast of being cheaply-priced and eventually wear out in a few months. But not this one. Solid construction and high quality materials make this electric skillet tough and durable. Many people complain that only the lid is dishwasher safe, but in reality both the skillet and the lid are dishwasher safe. However, it is always better to take a little time and wash the skillets by hand to get the best results and ensure a long life.
- Variable temperature dial with “warm” mode included
- Very easy to clean thanks to the honey-combed bottom; non- sticky stuff
- Superior heat distribution without hot spots
- Great value for money
- Only suitable for large families, not for individual use
- The temperature control knob gets very hot and it is placed too close to the skillet
- Due to its large size and lack of folding parts, it takes up a lot of space.
10. Elite Cuisine EG-1220G Maxi-Matic 12-Inch Non-Stick Electric Skillet with Glass Lid, Black
With Elite Gourmet’s 12-inch electric skillet, you can prepare French fries, grilled dishes, roasts, stews and much more, so you can prepare your favorite dishes in one appliance.
With its soft, non-stick cooking surface, cleaning is a breeze. You can do a quick and even heating up to 450° F with temperature control and there is also a preparation indicator. You can use this appliance to cook eggs, sausages, hamburgers, steaks and even your favorite vegetables.
It has a tempered glass lid and cool-touch handles for safe and easy operation. You can cook and serve directly from the skillet! The sturdy and durable cast aluminum base is designed with style and prevents deformation due to high temperatures. The high side walls prevent food from leaking out.
- Very resistant, tough and durable base
- Integrated indicator light
- Removable and adjustable temperature control feature, capable of heating up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cool-touch handles
- cleaning up is very easy
- non-stick surface
- It is not immersible
- Does not come with a auto-shut off facility
5 things to consider before purchasing an electric skillet
Budget. The first thing to ponder over is your budget. At the outset, you must determine how much money you should spend on the skillet. If you set a price range it would help you to narrow your focus and you would always be able to eliminate those beyond your budget. However, your decision to buy the electric skillet should not depend on price alone. Don’t purchase something because it’s inexpensive. The same thing goes for selecting the costliest one. You are more likely to find a good one if you keep an open mind and check the pros and cons of the products carefully.
Size and Shape. Once a budget is set, it is time to select the right size and shape that suits your requirements. Since electric skillets abound in the market, there are multiple options to choose from. Most skillets available are between 10 to 16 inches in diameter. When you pick your size, you must consider first out what kind of food you are going to prepare with it. Not only that, but you should also keep in mind how much counter space you have. As for the shapes, they usually come in square, rectangular or oval and you can select one according to your personal choice.
Cleaning Method. How an electric skillet is cleaned is another factor you will have to take into account. If you are averse to washing dishes by hand, you should pick an electrical skillet that can be placed in the dishwasher. You should note that not all skillets are dishwasher safe. In fact, some can only be cleaned with liquid soap and a rag.
Temperature Controls. You will also have to pay attention to the temperature controls. Some skillets have a high and low heat option, but not all. You should visualize the way you want to prepare the meals to figure out how to incorporate temperature controls into your cooking. If you are primarily interested in deep-frying, you should look for a skillet that can reach at least 450 degrees. Skillets that go up to 400 degrees are only useful for stir-frying.
Cooking Style. Apart from temperature controls, you will also need to take into consideration your cooking style. If you cook a lot of soup and stew, you should select an electric skillet with a glass lid. This enables you to view the contents of the pan which is being cooked without lifting the lid. Since soups are generally cooked at a low temperature, you would not like to release heat by removing the lid. If you make meals that hardly take more than a few minutes to cook, a plastic lid will be enough for you. Apart from that, you should take into account how much residue your meals usually leave behind. If you leave behind a lot of residues, an electric skillet made from stainless steel will suit you best.
Does your electric skillet have these features?
Glass Lids. Glass lid is a very important feature because it allows you to see the food being cooked through the top of the skillet. You don’t have to remove the lid to check whether your food has been prepared. As a result, the heat stays locked inside and the cooking process goes uninterrupted.
Drainage Spouts. Drainage spouts are another important feature you should be looking for. They allow you to pour out the broth or grease from your meal. This makes the cooking process much easier. You won’t have to worry about accidentally dumping your meal in the kitchen sink when you’re draining the grease. Not merely that, it also makes the process safer and faster.
Locking Lid. The next thing you should worry about is the locking lid. Really? Yes. For, a locking lid is one component that is worth the extra money. It makes it easier to carry your food from one place to another without any hassle. If you’re moving the electric skillet from the kitchen to the dining hall, a locking lid will make the process easy and effortless.
Non-Stick Coating. The non-stick coating is also a must-have feature, though there are some health fiends who would object to it. Your skillet should have a non-stick feature on the interior as well as on th exterior. Your food won’t stick to the pan, which means less cleaning work. Aside from that, you may look for an electric skillet made of warp-proof material. Warp-proof pans show more durability and longevity.
Adjustable Steam Vent. You should also look for a model with an adjustable steam vent on the lid. The vent ensures that no liquid spills occur. Without an adjustable steam vent, pressure begins to mount. This causes liquid to leak out of the sides of the electric skillet and can cause a mess.
Heat-Resistant Handles. Heat-resistant handles are also very useful. Since you won’t need to use an oven mitt, they make the cooking process simpler, safer and easier. You can pick up the skillet without any discomfort and without burning your hands.
Buying Tip: While buying an electric skillet, you would do well to look for one with high sides. This will enable you to accommodate larger amounts of food, which becomes necessary when you have a good number of visitors. Apart from that, higher sides make it easier to deep-fry and braise. If you have an awkward food size, it is more likely to fit better in that kind of a skillet.
What is the Best Electric Skillet?
A question often asked in the online forums is about the best electric skillet and which one should one buy. We’ve been asked these questions myriad times and hence, we’ve decided to put up our own list of our top electric skillet recommendations for 2017 and 2018. These are, in our opinion, the best electric skillets presently available on the market.
Tips on Using Your Electric Skillet
For those of you who have already taken the plunge and bought an electric skillet, here are some quick tips to keep in mind while cooking with an electric skillet at home. If you follow these recommendations, it will ensure that you get the most out of your electric skillet, and it will also help you protect your newly acquired kitchen gadget so that it will last you longer than expected.
If your electric skillet has Teflon or a non-stick coating, you must use a wooden spatula. You should always make it a point to use only the wooden utensil. Otherwise, you may scrape the coating. You will have to be cautious lest the Teflon should get into your food. Not merely that, a wooden spatula ensures that the non-stick coating would last longer.
If your electric skillet has a non-stick coating, you must clean it with a mild detergent. If there is stubborn grime on it, you may let it soak in water over the night. This is the best way to get rid of the dirt. Make sure that you don’t damage the surface while cleaning the skillet.
Lastly, you should preheat the skillet before adding any oil. If you have a stainless steel electric skillet, let it preheat on low temperature for a few minutes. After that, you can add the oil and raise the temperature level to medium. This method will ensure that your food is cooked safely, properly and deliciously. Happy cooking!
Benefits Of An Electrical Skillet
An electric skillet is a versatile gadget and it can make a great addition to your collection of multi-purpose cooking appliances meant to operate in a small space. In fact, with such a kitchen appliance you can make almost any dish you like without the need for a fully-equipped kitchen.
Electric skillets don’t require anything more than an electrical outlet to heat up, which means you can cut down on your gas bill, and help prevent the hazards associated with a gas stove. They still offer almost all the benefits of a traditional skillet, and a bit more perhaps like non-stick coating, a surface that heats evenly, and a fairly big cooking area.
Electric skillets come with additional benefits, too. If you use an electric skillet, it won’t heat up your kitchen as much as a traditional variety would. This is especially welcome during the summer months when cooking in a hot kitchen can be very exhausting. Electric skillets also maintain the desired cooking temperature much better than stovetop ranges, which are at the mercy of a burning flame. So, electric skillets can be used for frying foods like doughnuts and chicken, which require a steady temperature.
Many electrical skillets also act as heated serving dishes and this enables a cook to keep large portions of food warm, while they serve their guests. It’s much safer to leave food unattended in an electrical skillet than on a traditional stove, too. If you do have a fully-equipped kitchen range, an electrical skillet can be quite useful during the weekends when you are thinking of making plenty of recipes at once and needs a bit of an extra cooking space. Besides, most of them stand on frames which look quite elegant and are just great for dinner parties.
A Brief History Of The Skillet
It is surprising to note that civilizations as old as those from ancient Mesopotamia, Greece, and Rome knew how to use frying pans. The older versions of this product were called spiders because they were meant to stand on three legs, and also possessed a long handle.
Many believe that the skillets used today in the USA evolved from the 17th-century Dutch cast-iron frying pans, which had no legs and also had lower sides because they were primarily mean to make pancakes. During the 18th century, the spider style pan in the United States metamorphosed into a forged sheet iron pan with welded legs and a strap handle.
By the 19th century, the legs were completely done away with from American frying pans. They were still known as spiders, but innovations in stovetops created the demand for flat-bottomed pans. It was around this time that the spider formally assumed the name of skillet.
Some cuisine experts and art historians are of the opinion that the British started developing these flat-bottomed skillets much before the Americans.
In her 17th-century recipes book, which detailed foods that would almost certainly require the use of flat skillet, British cook Martha Bradley pointed out that the American’s only started using this type of skillet more than 100 years later.
A man called Ivar Jepson got the patent for the first electric frying pan in 1956. When applying for the patent the man was asked why he should develop the product, Jepson specifically pointed out the ability of the electric skillet to monitor temperature and the fact that an electrical skillet can safely be left unattended for short duration.
Jepson also mentioned how wind or kitchen fans can affect cooking temperatures on traditional skillets, and how the inbuilt heating element and pan combined to provide much better temperature control. In 1964, after his first electric skillet became a great success, Jepson also filed for a patent for a model that could be fully immersed in water for better cleaning.
Tips For Baking In Your Electric Skillet
One of the best ways to maximize a tiny kitchen is to use an electric skillet like an oven. Since almost all the electric skillets come with a lid, they sustain the heat quite well, just like an oven. Depending on what you are preparing, you can line your skillet with foil so that the outside of their food does not accidentally fry on the pan’s surface, or you may use it for the purpose of placing a baking pan inside the skillet.
If you would like to make a cake inside your electric skillet, you should line the pan with foil. Now you will have to adjust the temperature dial to the required heat. When the pan is warm, you will have to pour the cake batter into the foil-lined skillet and place the lid on top. But you must ensure that the lid is slightly off center, so that some air may pass into the cake. When the cake is done, it is time to remove the lid and place a large serving dish over the top of the pan, and then turn it over. The cake will slide onto the platter.
Best Electric skillet Safety Measures
Whenever you’re handling an item that requires a power source and at the same time produces heat, you should be careful about your safety. Here are a few tips to make sure that you use your skillet safely.
- Never forget to turn your electric skillet off and unplug it from the wall when you have finished using it. Leaving it on and plugged in can lead to a fire hazard and create havoc.
- Avoid cooking on a wobbly surface, as you could spill hot food on yourself, and get damaging burns.
- Remember that an electric skillet is not a slow cooker, so you are not supposed to leave food to cook on a hot skillet without anybody noticing it.
- The skillet itself will heat up as it cooks, so you should always use oven mitts to handle the lid, and especially if you want to move the unit.
- You must always use wood utensils with your electric skillet to avoid scratching or damaging the cooking surface.
- For easy and effortless cleanup, you should choose an electric skillet that’s absolutely dishwasher safe.
- It is better to select a deeper electric skillet if you’re concerned about oil overflow.
Best Electric skillet FAQ
- What’s the difference between a skillet and a griddle?
- A. The only difference is that griddle has a flat surface with no lid or sides. It’s a fairly good choice for cooking things like pancakes, and omelets, as those foods require flipping. It’s rather difficult to flip something in a skillet because the sides can get in your way.
- How hot can an electric skillet get?
- A. Most electric skillets can heat up to 400°F. Some can reach higher temps of up to 450°F, which is necessary for situations in which you want to fry food.
- What’s the best way to clean an electric skillet after using it?
- A. You should not wash an electric skillet until it has cooled down. Make sure it’s not plugged into a power source. After that, gently hand-wash the pan without submerging it in water. Some units are dishwasher safe and some are not. So, you should read the manufacturer’s brochure or manual
to make sure that you follow all steps according to company’s guidance.
- How much does a good electric skillet cost?
- A. Most low-priced electric skillets will have simpler controls, a smaller size and less-durable materials. That said, there are some good bargains available all the time and you can get a skillet for about $25. More expensive models start from $40 and can go up to as much as $200. They tend to have tougher glass lids, more beautiful designs, and also display more bells and whistles than low-cost stuff.
Do you want to cook 5 easy meals in an electric skillet?
Best Electric Skillet–Final Recommendations
Hopefully, after having gone through all the electric skillet reviews, you will be able to make up your mind as to which electric skillet you should buy. However, my best and your best may not be the same: it depends on your individual requirements and personal preference.
So, before winding up, we would like to mention once again that w have three final selections for you. If you have a tight budget, you may select the Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet,
If you want to know which is the best-selling electric skillet on Amazon, you may checkthis model:
This product will make you happy though it doesn’t cost you a fortune. However, if you think that money is no constraint for you and you simply want the very best on the market, even it is quite expensive compared to other models available, you may go for the Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d’Expert 1350-Watt Electric Skillet.
Needless to say, this Japanese model, is an outstanding kitchen appliance and if you bring it home, it would surely be a neighbor’s envy and owner’s pride. And certainly it is one of the best electric skillets on the market today Go cooking!